Friday, May 16, 2008

Slowing Down & Fasting

I'm stepping off the merry-go-round this weekend - photo taken 05-11-08 at Mills Park, Carson City, Nevada.














I'm doing a liquid fast today. Protein shakes, fresh homemade juice from my juicer (store bought juices are mostly sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and water), and water with lime. This fast has absolutely no connection to weight loss. (Although weight loss can be achieved through long term fasting you will lose valuable muscle as well thus lowering your metabolism). And I'm only fasting for about 24 hours and being careful to meet my protein and fat requirements.

My goal is to rest my colon - see last post on my recent colitis flare - because it's still driving me up a wall and unfortunately not a climbing wall. This fasting ordeal - really it's not that bad particularly when it lessens pain - has helped before. Most of the nutrition I take in liquids don't reach the affected area of my digestive tract. So it's like sending my colon on vacation to the sunny carribbean for a siesta.

In other news, we scored two heavy duty vinyl 70 X 20 foot flatbed semi-truck tarps in good condition for $75 a piece on Craig's List. Jerry will go to Sparks, NV after work to pick them up. They run around $400 apiece new and will be just the ticket to cover our two 10 x 20 foot garage frames we scored a few weeks ago. One tarp will cover the frames once they're put end to end to make one 10 x 40 foot storage unit. One tarp is supposed to also cover my back yard exercise 'room' as well.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend. I plan on getting some rest on this one. (Crossing my fingers). We plan on staying home, Jerry is planning on working on our outdoor climbing wall, and Bruno will probably help him. I probably will post as I'm going to be home. We have a lot going on so there's plenty of stuff to cover.

Links:

The dangers of fasting and liquid diets

Healing Chronic Digestive Problems

Indoor Garage Climbing Wall