Monday, May 19, 2008

I've Got Carabiners Under My Computer
















Really, who ever heard that line before? Anyone? I had a few carabiners in my tack room and brought them into the house intending to attach them to our climbing wall. It's not like Fury would miss them. They're sitting on my desk and somehow ended up under one of the laptops. Hence "I've got carabiners under my computer."

I'm a little goofy today. My colitis pain has receded a little more (it comes and goes) and it's almost the full moon. I get loopy on a full moon. After a 2 1/2 day fast of protein shakes and fresh vegetable juice (I hit over 1200 calories both days) I'm on a refeed of approved foods only and had 4 ounces of hamburger and 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes for breakfast.

I don't care about a clean diet right now. Low carb has been shown the door and sent to Dolphin Bay for a spa week. (Did you all catch the episode of Workout set there?) I'm focusing on a high protein diet that will heal my colon. For now, it's low fiber, "soft" foods including most meat, white potatoes, other soft carbs, fats, cheese (the lactose is removed during the process of making cheese), and soy protein shakes (whey and casein are out for now).

Foods to avoid to get over a flare and to prevent flares include anything with fructose, (many people with colitis and other digestive disorders have fructose intolerance), no fruit, lactose, high fructose corn syrup, corn, nuts, seeds, beans, nothing high fiber including vegetables (some people cannot tolerate wheat). Normally I can tolerate fiber, and the occasional serving of nuts and beans, but after a flare I have to toe the line awhile.

I love my climbing wall and I've been given an assignment to take a Sharpie and mark where I want holds. Jerry will install them wherever I want. Yippee! We had too much fun this weekend. Check out my video below of Bruno climbing the wall and sliding down into his pool. That slide is nearly vertical and notice that he's climbing the wall barefoot. Kid is a daredevil.

To see footage of mom and dad climbing check out the video in my last post. For photos of construction of the wall see previous posts.