Saturday, May 31, 2008

Have You Ever Had A Cat Related Injury?

















Besides cat scratches I've never had a cat related injury. I've gotten thrown off the occasional horse and received bumps, bruises, and barbed wire punctures. I hurt my knee sliding into base in a baseball game or two. And hit my head one night when I got tossed off the uSurf. But an injury from playing cat hockey?

Let me explain cat hockey. When the momma cats and kittens were sequestered in the bathroom we blocked their escape with a held out foot. The babies were tiny and yielded. The moms were allowed to come and go. The older the babies got the more it felt like fielding rapidly advancing hockey pucks. Those babies are fast and determined. But the maneuver was a forward motion much like a forward kick in karate but much lower.

Now that the kittens are free to roam most of the house they're trying to get back into the bathroom. This would be fine except Grandma Arly is pregnant, ensconced in the "birthing and nursery suite" and not thrilled with non-human visitors. She purrs at us then hisses at them in nearly the same breathe. (Yes, they are her kids and grandkids but you know how annoying family can be). So for four days I've scooted everyone away from the door with a sideways foot flick that doesn't resemble anything I learned in Kenpo Karate or Taebo. And with a bladder infection I've been in and out of the bathroom every hour.

Well last night the repetitive stress caught up with me and my knee hurt like hell. Both large tendons in the back were freaking out. (Repetitive stress is common in people with Cerebral Palsy). I iced my knee and went to bed but it was worse this morning. We were planning a WalMart marathon because of Jerry's trip on Monday. And here I was gimpy and limping. I put on an Icy Hot wrap and we headed off. The more I walked the better my knee got. I walked all over WalMart. I'm thinking it's just spasms and the movement and Icy Hot relaxed them. Painful but harmless.

But really, a cat / kitten induced injury? That's just weird.