Thursday, November 1, 2007

Welcome To Kudos For Balanced Fitness & Lifestyle















I’ve been considering changing the name and focus of this blog for awhile. The spirit moved me but the flesh was weak. Ha, ha. Now I feel it’s time to widen my focus and write about a wider and richer range of topics. And it’s time to redefine my place in the blogging world. November 1st is the first full day of my new age (I turned 48 on October 31st) so it seems like an appropriate date for change. It's my personal New Years Day.

I know from experience, reading research, and witnessing many personal transformations including my own that eating a low or controlled carbohydrate diet is a good weight loss tool and a healthy approach to eating for many. But controlled carbohydrate eating is only one small part of my fitness lifestyle. And controlled carb dieting is not the “one size fits all” or “be all, end all” solution some people make it out to be.

I’ve become increasingly aware that many people struggling with their weight – including plenty of low and controlled carbers – are missing a key piece of the weight loss / weight control puzzle. They overlook or ignore exercise, and resistance training in particular.

This unique key to a fit lifestyle is of such unfathomable value to weight control and health that I feel drawn to emphasize weight training – also known as resistance training, weight lifting, and bodybuilding – in my blog. I have done this somewhat in the past. I have the experience and knowledge to write on this subject in depth and it’s time I gave this topic more attention.

I’ve also become concerned with the tone of a few low or controlled carb blogs and prefer not to be viewed in the same light or venue.

Many low and controlled carbers seem to never reach goal. Others reach it but can’t stay at goal or continually flog themselves for not staying at an arbitrary weight day in and day out. Others regularly attack or insult anyone who disagrees with their views. The negativity is a put off to me.

Limiting carbohydrates in your diet is one of many viable approaches to weight control BUT I don’t share the view that someone who chooses to eat a low or controlled fat diet means someone is “gobbling donuts, candy, and bread”.

Some “low fat” diet approaches are healthy and balanced because of their similarities to low carb. Many bodybuilders, fitness competitors, and other athletes limit fat in their diets and rarely indulge in desserts or other refined carbs. They eat a diet that relies heavily on fruits, vegetables, fibrous grains, beans, legumes, nuts, lean meats and dairy, and they feel and look spectacular.

Nor do I agree with slamming people or calling them names. One blogger repeatedly provokes or insults people from various walks of life and recently attacked reputable physician Dr. Mehmet Oz and well respected personal trainer Jillian Michaels – both whom I greatly admire – by calling them a derogatory term because the didn’t see exactly eye to eye with they blogger's views. Those so-called clowns are educated, well informed people who demonstrate their knowledge though a fit, healthy lifestyle that garnered them fit bodies to boot. The proof is in the package baby. And these two knowledgeable professionals do not deserve to be treated with careless and callous disrespect by anyone.

In the interview in question – a Larry King Live show I happen to have on TIVO – Dr. Oz and Ms. Michaels were the counterpoint view to Gary Taubes and Dr. Andrew Weil, both whom I also respect. This is a standard format in media to give both sides of an issue or topic fair coverage of opposing opinions and balanced argument of issues. It’s not meant to be an invitation to personal attacks or insults – a sign of lack of class and judgment. AND at the end of the interviews they compared their daily menus and found them remarkably similar.

I’m fed up with the general animosity, name calling, inflexibility, and “my way or the highway” approach that prevails in the low carb blog world right now. I’ve witnessed as much as I care to of this behavior as I’ve traveled through the internet lately.

I’m sick and tired of the diet Nazi approach from ANYONE. Everyone has a right to design a lifestyle of their own choosing (whether said lifestyle is based on fact, fiction, hearsay, research, misinformation, opinion, or sheer preference) without being verbally flogged.

Low or controlled fat diets and their practitioners and advocates are not the devil’s spawn as some would have you think. Some people experience weight loss success and good health on low fat and/or low calorie approaches.

I’ve eaten both a controlled fat and low fat diet and controlled calorie diet in the past with reasonably successful weight loss. I never reached the level of fitness I wanted on a controlled or low fat diet or low calorie diet. I ALSO never reached the fitness level I wanted on a LOW CARB diet either.

Low carbohydrate eating or dieting is not magical or a surefire cure for weight issues nor is it the golden key to a fit body – it’s only one piece of the puzzle. (Not to mention you can outstrip the benefits of low carb by eating too many calories and Dr. Atkins said this himself). For some it doesn’t even belong in their health and fitness lifestyle.

We are not all the same, we’re not metabolically identical, nor do we all have the same genetics, physiques, lifestyles, desires, tastes, likes and dislikes. And as one controlled carber recently pointed out controlled carbohydrate does not have to be high fat, in can in fact be controlled in fat. And I still cannot stomach chicken skin and pork rinds (GROSS), nor am I willing to completely forgo beer and pizza for the rest of my life.

I have averaged 3 pizza boxes, a six pack of beer bottles, and two wine bottles in my trash all summer long and I STILL lowered my body fat percentage by 7 percent and lost 10 scale pounds! I’ve cycled my carb intake for about 5 months now averaging between 10 carbohydrate grams and 143 grams a day (not including alcohol calories) and I have achieved my lowest body fat percentage and scale weight ever.

I just turned 48 and I’ve never been in better shape. And I plan to improve.

I plan to publish sections of my log books covering the time of my transformation at my new blog Kudos For Power 90X. I’ll give my “anecdotal” evidence on what it takes for this woman to get in her best shape ever. If you choose to use any of this information it’s completely up to you.

CARBOHYDRATES are not evil nor even the great mystical way to weigh less. I proved I can eat a diet moderate in carbohydrates and STILL LOSE BODYFAT.

So if a very low carbohydrate diet (less than 20 to 50 grams a day) was not a part of my best success, what was it that finally made my fitness puzzle click into one cohesive whole?

Resistance training. Weight lifting. Bodybuilding. That’s what.

I put on muscle mass and revved up my metabolism. Although I’ve done some form of resistance training for years (including free weights, machines, bands, Body For Life, Power 90, Joyce Vedral’s pyramid approach) I used to maintain my not so desirable body fat and weight at roughly 1500-1700 calories a day and would gain if I went past that. And that was on both a low fat diet and later a low carb diet. Now I can go as high as 1900-2300 calories a day and moderate carbohydrates (50-120 grams a day) several days a week and maintain my weight.

As the long time successful info-mercial for Total Gym points out “Aerobics alone might not change your body shape.” Muscle is truly the key to getting truly fit and you only gain and maintain muscle mass through resistance training.

Until I pushed my personal envelop and got serious about my resistance training I struggled with excess body fat. Only after I started an intense program (Power 90X Baby!) rigorous enough to push my muscle building to the next level did I see my overall fitness improve and my body fat percentage drop dramatically.

So I’ve decided it’s time to change the focus here at “Kudos”. Controlled carbohydrate eating will still be a topic I’ll cover from time to time, along with other options for eating for health and fitness. But optimizing personal fitness including physical, mental, and spiritual, will be my main focus. Looking at just one component to a healthy lifestyle – a low carbohydrate diet or nutrition or exercise alone – is one sided, short sighted, and not optimal. I want to explore all aspects of what makes one healthy, strong, fit, and successful at weight control and life in general.

It is time for a change. I’m moving on. This blog is here to stay for now but I’m going to concentrate on what made ME successful so far in MY fitness and weight goals and my life in general. While my site address will stay the same for now I plan to move to my new Kudos For Balanced Fitness & Lifestyle blog soon.

My content will change somewhat including who and where I link to in my sidebar. I believe in freedom of speech but I’m not required to point my readers to content I think is not beneficial or positive, one-sided or plain lopsided. Success, balance, and a positive approach to life will be stressed.

Topics you can expect to see covered will include fitness, nutrition, resistance training, women’s issues, women’s fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle, fitness program and video reviews, videos, mental and physical health, psychology, science, Cerebral Palsy, colitis and Crohn’s disease, dealing with disability and physical challenges, spiritual life, life in Nevada, helpful and fun links, and more.

Welcome to the Kudos For Balanced Fitness & Lifestyle blog! I hope you’ll continue to visit and enjoy our new refocused format. Kudos for readers and other friends!

Definitions

bal•ance

1. a state of equilibrium or equipoise; equal distribution of weight, amount, etc.
2. something used to produce equilibrium; counterpoise.
3. mental steadiness or emotional stability; habit of calm behavior, judgment, etc.
4. a state of bodily equilibrium: He lost his balance and fell down the stairs.

Fit

1. adapted or suited; appropriate: This water isn't fit for drinking. A long-necked giraffe is fit for browsing treetops.
2. proper or becoming: fit behavior.
3. qualified or competent, as for an office or function: a fit candidate.
4. prepared or ready: crops fit for gathering.
5. in good physical condition; in good health: He's fit for the race.

Fitness

1. the general condition of the body or mind with reference to soundness and vigor: good health; poor health.
2. soundness of body or mind; freedom from disease or ailment: to have one's health; to lose one's health.
3. a polite or complimentary wish for a person's health, happiness, etc., esp. as a toast: We drank a health to our guest of honor.
4. vigor; vitality: economic health.