Friday, June 6, 2008

Links Friday

I’m working on part three of “Reasons Dieters Get Stuck & Solutions - Number Two: Low Carb Versus Low Fat: Part Three – Cycling Carbs, Calories, Exercise, Rest” and I’ve written a guest post for Lay Rose’s The Diet Pulpit that will appear while she’s on vacation, so I’m crunched for time right now. So here are some must read links to check out:


Wifezilla has a must-read follow up on NutriSystem
and their deceptive advertising involving Jillian Barbari, who is pregnant in her “before” photo . And now Marie Osmond’s claims she lost weight on NutriSystem after she stated she lost weight by performing on ‘Dancing with the Stars’. Did she do both at once? No wonder she fainted…you can’t eat that low calorie and be that active at the same time.

Excerpt –“Back in April, I blogged about Nutrisystem and their latest spokesmodel, Jillian Barberie. She was touting a 41 lb weight loss in a series of TV ads and I made the observation that her clothing in the before photo appeared to be maternity wear. From the information I could gather at the time, Jillian had lost weight after giving birth even though she was crediting the Nutrisystem program.”

Check out The Fitness Insider and author of The TNT Diet Adam Campbell’s article “My Personal Grocery List”

Excerpt - I'm often asked what I actually eat. So yesterday, after a trip to the supermarket, I took a photo of our haul. The foods you see are precisely what my wife Jessica and I will eat for both dinner and lunch this week. That is, we make enough in the evening so that we can have a great leftover meal the next day at noon.

Obesity And Depression May Be Linked

ScienceDaily (Jun. 6, 2008) — A major review reveals that research indicates people who are obese may be more likely to become depressed, and people who are depressed may be more likely to become obese.

Smart Substitutes: Your guide to low-calorie cooking alternatives at Calorie King

Revving Up Your Metabolism with Exercise

"I can't lose weight, I've got a slow metabolism."

How many times have you heard or read that? It's a common perception that excess weight is due to an inherited slow metabolism or a thyroid problem. Yes, these conditions do exist, but they're not as common as you might think. Most obesity and overweight conditions occur because people eat too much and move too little -- simple as that.

That's not to say that you can't rev the metabolism up a little in your activity program. You can. But the main game is still big-picture recommendations like eating less and exercising more. Even so, every little bit helps.

The three main activities that will make your body more efficient as a fat-burning machine involve physical activity and body composition.