Monday, March 17, 2008

A Typical Day of Food on Power 90X and an Update

That's Me Post Flu and Food Binge (Okay, It's An Exaggeration)



















Not much going on around here. I’m a little sleep deprived – a common condition of mothers of eight years old boys and 7 month old puppies. So I’m taking today off for a long winter’s nap. Hey, it’s not Spring time for another 3 days.

I’m still reading Joel Marion’s ‘Cheat To Lose Diet’ and liking what I see for the most part. I plan to try it in conjunction with a mix of workouts (click a link to view each product) including the classic workouts from Power 90, and cutting edge workouts from Bosu 3D, Power 90X, Power 90X Plus, and my new untried set of Tony Horton’s 10 Minute Trainer Workouts, starting, hmm, I hope tomorrow…

As for my present stats, I seem to have gained six pounds and about 5 percent body fat, up to 120 pounds from 114 pounds and 23 percent body fat from 18 percent body fat. (Note that water retention messes with bio-impedance fat measurements so this might change rapidly). Proving even a temporary 2 ½ week diet of classic American food like bacon, potatoes, butter, bread, and pasta – Dreamfield’s no less, I've always suspected their "low net carb" claims were technically bull – can make you gain weight. My measurements changed from bust DOWN by 1 inch,, waist UP ½ inch, my widest belly measurement below the waist UP 2.5 inches (!hope that’s water weight!), my hips UP ¾ inch, and my right thigh UP 2 ½ and left thigh DOWN 1 ½ (talk about weird changes).

I suspect the real issue with the measurements is way too much sodium (I rarely ever eat bacon and saltines but ate lots of both during and after the flu). And some of the weight gain is also no workouts since February 20th. I haven't been burning nearly as many calories as usual and sleeping a lot. Nap city. baby. Well, it’s over and I’m back on the P90X slash New Workouts workout wagon tomorrow. I’ll keep y’all updated on the results.

Below is my usual food plan on P90X. I will be tweaking it to try for maximum water loss and incorporating what I learn reading 'The Cheat To Lose Diet'. No sodium for me and lots of water.

My Typical Food Intake – Six Days a Week

Workout Day

6:30 am – coffee

7:30 am – meal one:
4 egg whites and 1 whole egg with 1 ounce shredded high flavor cheese and vegetables (mushrooms, peppers, onions, spices) drizzled with 1 teaspoon flax oil.

Other options:

1 cup nonfat cottage cheese with 1 teaspoon flax oil (I prefer my fat come from Omegas instead of animal fats when possible) and 1 cup blackberries.

3 ounces sirloin or round steak, 1 slice whole wheat bread, 1 table Smart Balance margarine (has a perfect omega 3 to 6 ratio).

3 ounces chicken, 1 low carb tortilla, 1 ounce shredded cheese, 2 tablespoons salsa, 2 tablespoons guacamole.

10:30 am – meal two
Protein shake of 25 grams protein with 1 cup fruit.

Options:

1 cup nonfat cottage cheese with flax oil, whole wheat roll with Smart Balance margarine.

3 ounces lime and chile chicken, ½ cup mixed bean salad.

4 ounces shrimp, cocktail sauce, mixed vegetables with flax oil.

12:30 pm – workout

2:30 pm – meal three:
protein shake with fruit.

5:30 pm – meal four: 1 ounce Stilton cheese, 1 ounce nuts, 1 glass of wine.

Options:

1 cup nonfat cottage cheese sprinkled with 2 tablespoons parmesan, 1 ounce pine nuts, and 1 ounce black olives.

1 cup cottage cheese sprinkled with 1 ounce blue cheese, and 1 ounce walnuts.

4 ounce shrimp, 1 cup mixed salad greens, 1 tablespoon flax oil, 1 tablespoon lime juice.

8:00 pm – meal five:

3 ounce steak, ½ cup grilled or sautéed mushroom and onions, whole wheat roll with Smart Balance margarine. Glass or two or wine (oh, the.

Options:

2 ounce steak, 3 ounces shrimp, mixed salad greens, flax oil.

½ cup Dreamfield’s spaghetti, ½ cup homemade marinara, 2 ounces extra lean ground beef, 2 tablespoons parmesan. Note: I tend to limit my intake of Dreamfield’s products as I’m suspicious of their actual net carbs and 190 calories a serving of FLUFF is rather high).

3 ounces barbecue chicken (1/4 cup homemade low carb bbq sauce), 1 cup green beans with almonds and Smart Balance margarine.

On a busy night a Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones frozen dinner with vegetables.

One weight lifting days – protein shake between 1am – 3 am to maintain anabolism overnight to support muscle growth.

My Typical Cheat Day – One Day a Week (Usually Saturday or another day with a heavy workout).

Option one: breakfast out – two whole eggs scrambled, sourdough toast with butter, chicken fried steak, hash browns. Then 3 regular meals like those above.

Option two: breakfast at home as usual, lunch out at Round Table Pizza – pizza and salad buffet and a beer. Dinner at home as above with a bottle of wine.

Option three: three meals at home as usual with homemade pizza or lasagna or tempura battered fish, shrimp, fries and beer.

Option four: 4 regular meals as above and a dinner of champagne, brie, caviar and chocolate (thinks Valentine’s Day, Birthday, or Anniversary.

I’m aware many bodybuilding nutritionists – like Chris Aceto - view alcohol calories negatively. Some claim it even interferes with anabolism. Then why are my muscles bigger AND harder than just months ago. I view moderate alcohol intake as not only a relaxing pleasure but another way to prime the pump – glucose load depleted muscles after weight lifting and preload for the next day’s workout.

Alcohol typically acts like a carbohydrate although it has 7 calories per gram instead of 4 calories per gram like carbohydrates. Usually alcohol is turned into body fat when not used as fuel. An example is if you need 2000 calories to maintain your weight and a beer or glass of wine puts you over that threshold it will turn to fat. If the alcohol calories are within your caloric needs and replace other high energy foods like potatoes or pasta you won't gain weight.

Not to mention a drink or two helps with DOMS and my other pain issues including osteo-arthritis, intermittent tendonistis, and Cerebral Palsy-related pain – if interested see “Pain, spasms and contraction Pain is a part of daily life for most people with cerebral palsy. Pain will cause spasms; spasms will cause pain.”

I don’t tolerate over-the-counter pain relievers like aspirin, Tylenol, Advil, Aleve very well. They all irritate my gastro-intestinal tract although my colitis is well controlled through diet..

Principles used are based on bodybuilding nutrition principles including Joel Marion’s Cheat to Lose Diet.

“Joel Marion discovered a weird thing while trying to get ripped: the more often he cheated (within reason), the more he leaned up. He didn't know it at the time but he was manipulating leptin, a primary fat-burning hormone.” Read more.


More on The Cheat to Lose Diet by Joel Marion – Former Body For Life Grand Champion


Cheat to Lose Website

Don’t attempt this type of food plan unless you are seriously training including bodybuilding or weight training along with aerobic conditioning. This is NOT a weight loss diet although shedding body fat is likely. This diet is intended for anabolic muscle growth as a result of intense weight training workouts. Men and larger women will need more calories and protein than my meal plans. Remember, I am a HOBBIT at 5 foot tall and 112 -16 pounds.