Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Another Update On My “The Cheat To Lose Diet” Adventures




















I found the low carbohydrate week of the Priming Phase on “The Cheat To Lose Diet” by Joel Marion (the book) (the website)easy enough to stick to (okay, I really didn’t), but too low in calories. Eating nothing but lean protein, green vegetables, and some fats had me under 1400 calories and 25 to 50 grams of carbohydrates a day for days. My RMR is 1260 so this is really a low calorie phase if anything. My endurance slumped a little at the end of my circuit training aerobics workouts. I don’t see how that can be good. Need to burn the fat you know. Thank goodness I’ve switched to the Low GI/GL week of priming. At least I’m getting plenty of protein. And now toast at breakfast!

Here’s a review of the Priming Phase of the diet which I’ve discussed previously: the priming phase lasts 22 Days - 7 days of low carbohydrate, 7 days of lower glycemic index / glycemic load, 7 days of higher GI/GL - before you have a cheat day on day 22. (And believe me, on day 9 good old day 22 looks years away particularly when you're cooking French fries for the rugrat. No wonder no one can stick on crazy crash diets for long!)

Foods allowed on the low carb phase include green vegetables, most other non-starchy vegetables, lean meats including beef, chicken, fish, turkey, dairy with no stipulation on fat content, fats like oils and butter, nuts, and nut butters including peanut butter (I found myself eating it with a spoon, almost better than chocolate or sex. Not).

The lower GI/GL week allows you to add whole grains like whole wheat bread, oats, beans, lentils, and fruits like berries, apple, citrus, and starchier veggies like carrots. Yippee. (Yes, that’s sarcasm you hear in my writing voice).

Eleven days until cheat day. Will I hold out that long? Do I really need to in order to enjoy results? Stay tuned.

I'm starting to hate being my own Guinea pig.

More on Glycemic Index & Glycemic Load.

Next: Comparing a Power 90X Weight Workout To A Classic Weight Lifting Workout