Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Designing Your Own Training Routines Part One





















I bought a new DVD Training and Program Design with the BOSU Balance Trainer and did a weight lifting workout yesterday of my own design. I incorporated a lot of Power 90X exercises and performed an approximately 1 hour workout. I started with a warm up including jogging in place and stretching. Then I did legs including squats, wall squats, one leg wall squats, three way lunges, and three way calf raises (and on the Bosu these are killer). Then I did two versions of pull ups and push ups, back rows, chest presses, chest flyes, bicep curls, isolated curls, hammer curls, pull overs, tricep curls, dips on the Bosu, shoulder presses, front shoulder rows, and front shoulder lifts. Then a cool down with stretches. Whew. Every body part got equal attention and an equal measure of intensity.

I left out ab work which I was planning to do at the end but I was all used up. Thank God I didn’t – my abs are sorer than S#!& as it is. And I’m talking front and back! That Bosu makes you use them on pretty much every exercise. I even felt them doing bicep curls while on the Bosu.

As for the DVD itself, I seriously thought of returning it as the production is poor and the set – a gym somewhere in Oklahoma – is sort of boring. The two trainers who demonstrate are not much to look at – hey I’m used to the gorgeous Tony Horton and his sexy trendy gym set in the Power 90X videos. The exercises, demonstration, and instruction are sound. But there was not much new to me. I’m still considering sending it back to get my $29.95 back. On the other hand, Bruno is into exercise already and might find it useful. In the Summer we workout a lot together. So I might keep it. Nothing wishy-washy about me.

It's evident to me now that I have the knowledge, experience, and skills to design training programs (at least for myself) on my own. I plan to explore this more in the future.

I was planning an aerobics workout today but I’m not sure it’s feasible with my whole rib cage aching. I suppose a day off wouldn’t kill me…

Cool Links

5 Ways to Stay Young By Steve Edwards

It's not that we age but how we age that matters. We're all going to grow old and, from all scientific accounts, eventually die. Some of us will do it more gracefully than others. Although genetics will play a role, we have a lot of control over how the aging process affects us. Modern medical enhancements have allowed us to alter the aging process to a degree, but there is no reason to get upset if you can't afford a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon, because nothing can modify the way you age like a few lifestyle changes. Here are five steps that will help you age more gracefully than Hollywood's elite.

1. Exercise harder (though not necessarily longer). Far and away, the most important thing you can do to offset the aging process is exercise. You don't need to spend a lot of time doing it, however. Short bouts of intense exercise are more effective than longer workouts. Long, easy workouts have their place in a fitness program, especially for aerobic efficiency and fat burning, but nothing comes close to high-intensity training for keeping your body young (try programs like P90X® and Turbo Jam®).

Your body loses muscle mass as you age. Resistance training creates hypertrophy (muscle building), which will offset some of that loss. Furthermore, increasing your heart rate to 90 percent of its maximum for short intervals (by doing things like jumping, sprinting, and heavy resistance training) raises capillarity, mitochondrial activity, and bone density—all important components to counteract aging.

Here's why high-intensity training can counteract aging. High-intensity training forces your body out of its comfort zone. Read More.

Order a pizza in 2010? . . .

This is funny, but the scary part about it is that it's probably not too far away from being reality. Want to know how to order a pizza in 2010? Click the link and see. turn up the volume. . listen closely. . . watch the pointer carefully! This seems so true, it's frightening! Click here.