Saturday, April 5, 2008

Frugal Shop-a-rama

"Say what? Cheese? How about tuna."
















Every 3 or 4 months our local Smiths grocery store has a case sale. Buying in bulk saves a lot of money and right now just about everyone I know is cutting corners someplace. Well, by stocking up on non-perishables like tuna, peanut butter, chili, and soup, we saved $158.30 today! We bought a case of Bumblebee tuna, a case of JIF, a case of chicken noodle soup, a case of tomato soup, and two cases of Hormel chili. See photos of my plunder below.

Gasoline was $3.52 a gallon this morning. Groceries are higher than even a few months ago. The price of hay cubes went up, and so did our satellite television and water bills. Amazingly we're not feeling it too badly. We've made minor adjustments like we eat out less (yeah for my waist line!) Instead of once every weekend we eat out once every three or four weeks. (Partly because the last time we ate out Bruno pouted most of the time and didn't eat his food. We can watch him pout and waste food just as easily at home. Not to mention the food and atmosphere is almost always better at home).

I've started using coupons again - mostly because Smiths prints them out and shoves them at you and they're tailored to our usual purchases. I saved another $5.50 today alone from they're targeted coupons on stuff I buy anyway. And I'm buying less unnecessary items like magazines, books, and DVDs.


But I refuse to cut corners when it comes to cheese!


And of course after purchasing all that food Bruno demanded the one case sale item I passed on - macaroni and cheese. Luckily we had nearly a case in storage.

Eeeeuh! It's not even real cheese! It says "real cheese" on the package, but it looks like orange powder. Soylent green, Soylent orange...Soylent GROSS. Soylent Green was my favorite movie in junior high. (Not to mention Charlton Heston was hot back then).

________________________________________________________________

My cats don't even like tuna flavored cat food, let alone tuna despite oggling the cans. But, do not regularly feed your cats canned tuna intended for humans. It can cause a vitamin B1 deficiency and even death.