Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Classic Weight Lifting Versus Power 90X Extreme Workouts & More On The Cheat To Lose Diet


















I had a perfectly good post for today. Unfortunately I couldn't find it. Then I realized I was searching for it on the wrong laptop. I'll be back after I switch laptops...

Although I had issues with the very low carbohydrate phase of "The Cheat To Lose Diet" - namely a lack of endurance to finish aerobic circuit training strong - I had no issues completing a standard "classic" weight lifting workout on this low carb phase.

My latest weight lifting session on the “Bitch Sisters” went very well especially considering the weather was a bit nippy this time. (Remember, they’re outside). This supports anecdotal evidence from bodybuilders using low carbohydrate or very low carbohydrate diets that their strength rarely or infrequently suffered when used short term.

This does not translate to programs like Power 90X which is my drug of choice. Um, I mean my workout system of choice (it has 12 workouts in all). Extreme workouts that incorporate aerobic intensity with intense resistance training or weight lifting in the same workout demand more carbohydrates (75-150 grams a day) and adequate calories (no less than 200 below total daily burn).

While my classic weight lifting routine yesterday was hard and took me to failure on several sets, I was sitting down, took 2 minute breaks between sets, and it was anaerobic. No aerobic demand was involved beyond carrying my gear up and down the back stairs. Okay, no aerobic demand was involved.

The benefits of an intense anaerobic workout like yesterday’s with weight machines and free weights, although demanding and intense, are a different intensity than Power 90X and thus have no correlation to a Power 90X style workout. Classic weight workouts don't require the level of muscle glycogen as a combined aerobic and anaerobic workout. There is no comparison, son.

If you can't get your hands on a Power 90X workout DVD (not to be confused with Power 90 which is an intermediate level program) then try this to get a comparable workout: 1. Run in place or run on a treadmill 10 minutes, then do a calisthenic exercise like push ups, pull ups, lunges, chair dips, wall squats, etc to failure (Muscle failure means that you cannot do any more repetitions with good form). or near failure. 2. Do jumping jacks for 5 minutes, then do a free weight exercise like bicep curls, shoulder presses, back rows, tricep overhead presses, etc. Repeat both steps, changing exercises each time, for one hour. When you're done you'll be ready to crawl to the shower. (Check out my sidebar for Power 90X workout reviews describing in detail what the workouts are like. Here's a detailed example if you dare to try).

The low carbohydrate phase (Priming Phase) of Cheat To Lose is seven days of low carbohydrate. Foods allowed include lean protein (eggs, chicken, turkey, non fat cottage cheese, protein powder). Most green vegetables and other low carbohydrate vegetables (I’ve become unnaturally attracted to spinach), and moderate amounts of fats (a teaspoon of olive, flax, canola, and fish oils). And no carbs as in whole grains, beans, brown rice, etc.

After seven days of that I would have just about killed somebody for a piece of whole wheat bread. (I did have an epiphany as to why THIS low carbohydrate diet was so much harder for me than an Atkins induction or other vlc diet - NO CHEESE! I miss my cheese! Joel Marion stole my cheese! And I mean great, delectable, satisfying cheeses like the ones I buy at iGourmet).

Thank God the Low GI/GL seven day phase I'm on now allows foods like whole wheat bread and other whole grains, or somebody would have had to die! (They still might have to die if I don't get some cheese - preferably Cotswold). My endurance is back and I can do 60 minutes of mixed aerobic exercises again without flagging.

But my point is this, if you're going to do low carbohydrate or very low carbohydrate for weight loss don't expect to be able to sustain a regular exercise program if it demands intensity like Power 90X. Although straight forward anaerobic and aerobic workouts of lesser intensity should be sustainable. (Especially with some cheese!)

As for "The Cheat To Lose Diet" when you’re used to a (cheesy good) pizza night every Saturday like I am waiting three weeks for a cheat day seems a very long, long way off. This diet better damn well work. If I don't lose weight by day 25 I'll put a hit out on the author. (Just kidding, if I did that every time I tried a crappy diet there would be dead diet book authors all over the place). I will be updating on my Cheat To Lose adventures again soon.

Hey, I'll gladly pay you on cheat day for some cheese today.

Related Links

Balancing The Use of Carbohydrates & Fats

How carbohydrate can help to protect against muscle damage.

From Nutrition Performance by Anssi Manninen

The Bottom Line

So, what is the bottom line? Well, this study confirmed that a very-low-carb/high-protein diet certainly does not lead to progressive loss of muscle mass.

However, this study also suggests that a very-low-carb diet is not ideal if your primary goal is to increase muscle mass, as the increase in muscle anabolism was accompanied by an increase in whole-body protein breakdown.

Furthermore, low carb intake can decrease exercise performance. There is strong evidence that resistance training, especially using free-weight exercises with high training volumes and moderate loads, is partially dependent upon glycogen (carb) stores.

Thus, carb ingestion prior to, during and after resistance exercise may improve performance and speed recovery, which could ultimately magnify the muscle-building response to exercise.
________________________________

No Horse Heads In My Bed Please!