Thursday, January 17, 2008

Power 90X Plus Kenpo Cardio Plus Review

















There’s one word for this workout – intense! Oh, wait, here’s more words to describe Kenpo Cardio Plus – fast paced, demanding, driven, unforgiving. This workout is extreme to the max. The original Power 90X Kenpo Karate X has always been a favorite of mine and Bruno. This workout builds on the original and ramps it up. I was sweating before the warm up was over and totally soaked by the end.

At 45 minutes in length, it includes a warm up of running in place, twist jumps, jumping jacks, jump rope, yoga moves, standard stretches, ballistic stretches.

The body of the workout is Kenpo karate moves – mostly combinations that maximize impact. Here they are in order: Jab / Cross / Shuffle, Hook / Uppercut / Shuffle, Double Hammer / Lunge / Sword, Lower Block / Hammer / Front Kick, Low Block / Hammer / Front Kick, Side Speed Kicks, Cardio Break – Running In Place, Jump Rope, Jumping Jacks, Twisters, Jab / Cross / Shuffle, Hook / Uppercut / Shuffle, Jab / Step / Cross, Double Hammer / Lunge / Sword, Low Block / Hammer, Front Kick, Side Speed Kicks, Cardio Break – Same As Above, Jab / Uppercut / Back Kick, Claw / Hammer / Lunge, Back Fist / Hammer / Front Kick / Knee Kick, Elbow / Sword / Back Kick, Cardio Break, Jab / Uppercut / Back Kick, Claw / Hammer / Lunge, Claw / Hammer / Front Kick, Back Fist / Hammer / Front Kick / Knee Kick, Elbow / Sword / Back Kick, Cardio Break, The Gladiator, Spinning Swords, Spinning Sword / Back Hammer, Double Sword / Knee Kick / Back Kick, High Block / Knee Kick Burn Out, Cardio Break, The Gladiator, Spinning Swords, Spinning Sword, Back Hammer, Double Sword / Knee Kick / Back Kick, High Block / Knee Kick Burn Out, COOL DOWN.

The cool down includes traditional Power 90X moves like yoga moves, standard stretches, and ballistic stretches.

I modified for balance issues like this: I used an eight by three foot floor space framed in by my couch, my large padded office chair, and my iGallop. This allowed me to go all out without balance being an issue. The few times I started to lose balance something large and padded was nearby to support me until I got my balance back.

I highly recommend Kenpo Cardio Plus for anyone who wants to burn a lot of calories in a reasonably short time (45 minutes). Bring your best game, you'll need endurance and strength to get through this fat burner.

This is one I’d like to do a video of soon. If you’re curious about the original Power 90X Kenpo Karate X Bruno and I did five demo videos and they’re linked in my sidebar under “Our Videos”.

Next: Interval X Plus and Abs / Core Plus

Meal Plan From Yesterday

8 am – 3 ½ ounces chicken breast, 1 cup blackberries, 8 ounces yogurt.

11 am – protein shake in fresh juice from my juicer – orange, grapefruit, apple, ginger, carrot.

1 pm – workout – Kenpo Karate Plus

3 pm – 1 cup nonfat cottage cheese, 1 teaspoon flax oil, 4 tablespoons salsa.

6 pm – 2 glasses white wine, 1 ounce regular fat cheese, 12 olives, 1 ounce nuts.

9 pm – 2 glasses white wine, 2 veggie burger patties, 2 nonfat cheese slices, ½ cup vegetables, 1 tablespoon Smart Balance mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon flax oil.

Totals – calories 1757, 145 protein grams, 116 carbs grams 57 fat grams, 38 alcohol grams

I’m not sure if I’ll be posting again until Tuesday as Bruno has a four day weekend starting tomorrow due to having Friday off for end of semester and Monday due to Martin Luther King Day.