Friday, January 4, 2008

Choosing and Starting a Fitness and Weight Loss Program





















Hope your New Years Eve was as fun and safe. We spent it sipping champagne in bed. Jerry fell asleep around 7:30 pm as he had to work the next day after a nine day vacation. I got up after that and watched Jeeves and Wooster DVDs with Bruno until he fell asleep. I always outlast them both. Ha!

We’re expecting a big storm this weekend with up to 10 feet in the mountains and 2-10 inches in the valleys. Everyone’s happy about this because of all our Sierra Nevada ski resorts. Lotsa ski bums around here.

Now to my main topic. I was asked by a relative who was impressed by my results with Power 90X if I thought she should try it for weight loss and getting back in shape. The following is my response. I thought it might be helpful to others.

As for Power 90X you can read my reviews at my blog. They’re listed on the side bar. I copied one into this email below. Power 90X is not a start up or get back into exercise work out program. It’s recommended for people who are already fit who want to take it to the next level. I’ve been weightlifting and doing aerobics of one form or another since the 1990’s and I can attest the X in Power 90X really does stand for extreme. But if you want to go back to a workout program similar to Navy basic training or boot camp it certainly will push you and works. At $159.00 it features 12 DVDs – 5 are resistance training and require resistance bands or dumbbells and a pull up bar and include 1 Chest and Back, 1 Shoulders and Arms, 1 Legs and Back, 1 Chest Shoulders and Back, 1Back and Biceps, 1 Kenpo Karate, 1 Plyometrics (jumping which I do on a mini trampoline to lessen impact), 1 Yoga X, 1 Cardio X, 1 Stretch X, 1 Core Synergistics, and 1 Ab Ripper X. A guidebook and complete nutrition guide are included.

The back of the DVD box says, “Created for those seeking a higher level of fotness, P 90X features 12 comprehensive and demanding workouts-each designed with a specific fitness objective.

I can recommend a few other options as I own and use them too. Also from Beachbody.com and recommended in the P 90X guidebook as good programs to reach P 90X’s prerequisite fitness requirements are Slim In Six, Power 90 (NOT X but a less intense program), Turbo Jam, and from other sources there’s Taebo Amped (Bruno loves this and we almost knock each other out with the bars when we do it together. We also enjoy our Fluidity Bar workouts, Winsor Pilates – I have the whole set of 28 DVDs. I had good results after pregnancy with Body For Life, and we enjoy many others. All these programs come with nutrition guides. If budget is an issue buy used exercise videos at a thrift shop, Amazon, or eBay (this is how my collection grew to over 500 exercise tapes and DVDs). But my best results EVER have been with Power 90X. I now weigh 112 pounds, can wear a size 0/2, have more muscle mass and can eat 2000 calories a day without gaining weight! I use to have to eat around 1500 to maintain.

The most important thing is to find a program you can make a lifestyle. If one doesn’t suit you try another. And the results can be cumulative if you combine different workouts for variety. You don’t get bored and your progress doesn’t stall if you change things up regularly. And as Covert Bailey says, “The best exercise is the one you’ll do.”

Happy New Year and Good Luck! Carol

Power 90X Chest, Shoulders Triceps Review, Muscle Links Round Up, and More.

I’ve had several days off from working out due to a bunch of factors including menstrual cramps, a loaded schedule, and just flat out needing a break. But it’s time to get back on the Power 90X horse and bust some booty. I’ve got less than 4 weeks until my 48th birthday on the 31st and I’d love to see my goal weight of 110 pounds on the scale OR see a drop in body fat percentage by Halloween!

Also, until the 31st – which I intend to take off and celebrate Nevada Day and my birthday with the rest of my state – I plan on implementing a strenuous course of Power 90X with a diet clean up and I will share my adventures and results here. And I’ll call this mini-series of blog entries – wait for it – Riding The Power 90 X Express.

And boy am I off to a roaring fast start. Yesterday I did Power 90X Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps and I feel every muscle between the bottom of my shoulder blades up to the top of the base of my neck. It literally hurts to put a pen to paper, snap shut my address book, or hold my cell phone. It hurts to move period.

I’ve reached the penultimate level of DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) because the ultimate level would probably kill me. I’ve never been this sore before. I smoked it and now I’m toast. (Actually I was hurting before I finished the workout!) At least three quarters of the 24 sets I did were to failure. (Definition: Failure - Doing a set until you can't do any more reps on your own. It's always good to have a spotter around and it's good in practice to work out to failure as often as you can. - From Demetri's Bodybuilding Terms).

The Power 90X Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps workout is roughly an hour long and is as follows:

Light cardio warm-up and stretch including running in place, followed by 24 resistance exercises described below.

I use Body Rev Perfect Push Up Bars for most push ups because they increase the intensity(not for One Arm Push Ups or Clap Plyo Push Ups). These are the exercises in the order they're performed with my reps listed as done yesterday:

Slow-motion 3-In-1 Push Up (36 reps)

In and Out Shoulder Fly (15 pounds, everyone is instructed to do 16 reps )

Chair Dips (27 reps)

Plange Push Up (33 reps)

Pike Press (12 pounds, 13 reps)

Side Tri-Rise (14 on left side, 16 on right)

Floor Fly Push Up (25 reps)

Scarecrow (10 pounds, 14 reps)

Overhead Triceps Extension (10 pounds, 11 reps)

Two Twitch Speed Push Up (4 fast, 3 slow x 36 total)

Y Press (8 pounds, 15 reps)

Lying Triceps Extension (10 pounds per hand, 13 reps)

Side To Side Push Up (36 reps)

Pour Fly (8 pounds, 12 reps)

Side Leaning Triceps Extension (8 pounds, 12 reps left, 15 reps right)

One Arm Push Up (24 reps)

Weighted Circle (8 pounds, everyone does 40 reps)

Throw The Bomb (10 pounds, 12 reps per side)

Clap Plyo Push Up (18 reps)

Slow Mo Throw (10 pounds, 13 reps per side)

Front To Back Triceps Extension (10 pounds, 12 reps per x 2)

One Arm Balance Push Up (14 per side)

Fly Row Press (8 pound per side, 12 reps)

Dumbbell Cross Body Blows (switched to bands – 15 pounds per side, 20 reps)

Cool down

“Ouch, Ouch, Ouch, Ouch, Ouch.” Crawls away for a protein shake.

THIS IS THE MOST INTENSE WORKOUT! Go ahead, try it.

Sometimes I don't know whether to love or hate Tony Horton.

Technorati Profile