Thursday, February 19, 2009

I Hit The Wall...Hard.












After two days of very low carb, shrimp, beef, coconut oil, and vegetables, I made the classic mistake of runners and marathoners. A morning session of 60 minutes of circuit training with weights (4 sets to failure) and jogging, followed by an evening session of 60 minutes interval training, depleted my glycogen stores. My average carb intake was 35-40 grams a day. Don't try this at home. No fun, kids.

I could barely get out of bed this morning. This was my first time hitting the wall. I usually take my own professional advice and eat enough unrefined carbs to fuel exercise performance (like one of the following, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup blackberries, 1/2 a banana, a slice of whole wheat bread, 1/2 cup sweet potato). Vegetables alone will not cut it if you're doing the rough stuff.

Making a cup of tea was a monumental effort. I'm replacing my glycogen stores today. And resting. Breakfast was whole wheat bread with an ounce of cheddar and teaspoon of mayo. Mid morning snack will be oatmeal and fruit with protein powder. But I'm still exhausted, not to mention sore.

If you're going to perform some serious exercise don't do this: Hitting The Wall.

Low carbers beware. Stay in a moderate exercise range, or properly fuel for exercise intensity when doing programs like Power 90X Doubles. More on this when I've recovered.

Related links:

Matching Carbohydrate Intake To Activity Levels

Avoid hitting the wall.